Is it me, or was there a total dearth of humour this April 1st?! What with phone-in and competition scandals, it seems much of the media has shied away. Still plenty of foolery around in other areas. So who are the real April Fools?
1. Robert Mugabe. The man has totally ruined a country. A revolutionary, turned oppressive dictator. Nothing worse. He needs to see the blinding obvious, and step down. Robert, even with inflation running at 100,000%, the votes won’t increase.
2. Nicky Campbell. For his shocking interview on Five Live the other morning about a report criticising the city’s strip-club scene. He belittled the woman who’d written the report, and gave a strip-club owner the easiest ride of his life. Nicky: if you want to know the truth about strip clubs, you talk to the women in them, not the men. Shame on you.
3. Genetic scientists. Animal-human embryo hybrids are wrong. It’s a step too far. Life is cheap.
4. The US and the UN, for completely failing to bring Israel to account over settlements and the ‘facts on the ground’ wall. Thankfully, a more left-leaning Israel lobby is forming in the US. About time.
5. We are. For believing the lie that we are in a properly functioning market economy. When the captains of the capitalist ship take huge bonuses for doing well… and huge bonuses for doing very badly, it shows clearly that we are not. Something has to change on this. Poor performance should mean penalties, not prizes.